Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Supper: Quickie BBQ and Mac n' Cheese

Please Note: I'm having a bit of a blog template hiccup, so the background and sidebar items may look altered until I can restore order.



I love BBQ. When I was younger and traveled around with my parents, my dad was always searching for the best BBQ. He became a self-professed connoisseur of BBQ sauces from different parts of the south. I'd never attempted making it myself until about 2 years ago - of all times, when my parents were visiting for dinner! I don't know what I was thinking. Though that first try was just average, my dad gave his compliments, but to me, I imagine he would have said it was good even if it tasted like cow dung.

Anyway, nothing speaks summer quite like BBQ. This time I followed the Neely's recipe for BBQ sauce and it yielded much better results than my last attempt. I roasted the chicken in the sauce and then shredded it. It's topped with a Green Apple Slaw.

Now Mac n' Cheese might not scream summer the way that BBQ does, but it sure goes well with it.

Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from Real Restaurant Recipes

2 c. dry macaroni
4 tbs. butter
4 tbs. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 - 3 cups milk
1 egg
2 cups aged cheddar cheese

Cook, rinse, and drain macaroni, then set aside. Melt butter in pan then add flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until blended. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups milk (adding more later if needed for consistency) and whisk often until sauce thickens. In a large bowl, whisk the egg then add the macaroni and stir until coated with the egg. Then mix in the cheese and finally, the sauce. Pour into a lightly oiled baking dish and sprinkle more cheese on top, if desired. Bake at 350 for about 20 - 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. BBQ and mac and cheese are made for each other....a good BBQ sauce is the secret too, not too spicy not too sweet....your mac and cheese looks so very good...and shredded BBQ is real BBQ...you did good!!

    ReplyDelete